Saturday, June 7, 2008

getting lucky in china

The Chinese apparently have very different ideas about lucky numbers than most people in the west seem to. "3" and "7" aren't lucky at all -- 7 being commonly referenced with ghosts and death and the afterlife. Instead lucky numbers are 6 and 9 (representing the components of yin and yang) and I guess the luckiest of all is 8. (I guess the Olymics are starting on 8/8/2008.) I've been incrementing the version number of the software I'm working on each time I make improvements to it. So I decided I'll make sure that tomorrow when it all goes live we're on version 8. Anything to get lucky.

I haven't been to a massage parlor yet. The hotel has one but they are more westernized I think. But very cheap. I'll probably get one later. And across the street there is a foot massage place that I haven't tried, but others have and its been described as "like karaoke, but with massage instead". Its open til 2am. Not sure if it sounds that relaxing, but probably worth the experience.

Yesterday I had a wicked MSG hangover after lunch. Headache and stuff. I had this delicious noodle soup with a really dark broth and some strange meat that must've been tripe or something.

While walking back to the museum in a haze, I saw a middle-aged guy walking down the street with his wife/girlfriend, and wearing a t-shirt that literally said (in all caps): SURFER DREAMS IS WET. That is just funny in so many ways. I wanted so badly to run back and take a picture but I couldn't see how to swing it without being really rude.

And now: another Beijing sunrise through my window -- like all the others have been: a bright spot of sun barely visible through thick layer of haze.

all for now -

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ya know the saying-- when in rome do as the romans do--(or something like that)....... so, while you are in china are you changing your lucky numbers to 6 and 9??....... personally, i still like 4(of course i am in newbury park)